FARRO SALAD WITH MUSHROOMS AND FENNEL
Farro is ancient wild wheat, grown since prehistoric times in the Mediterranean region.
This dish is cooked like a risotto, but it doesn’t require as much attention during cooking and can also sit a while before serving.
- 1 head fennel, quartered lengthways through the stem so that it stays together
- 1 pound Shitake mushrooms,
- Extra virgin olive oil Salt and pepper
- Preheat a grill to high; toss the fennel in olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill over high heat until slightly charred on the edges
- Repeat with the mushrooms
- When both are cool enough to handle, cut through with sharp knife into bite-size pieces
- Cut the mushrooms into similar-sized chunks.
- This can be prepared well in advance and left at room temperature until required.
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, crushed
- 1 lb. Farro
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 8 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup or more freshly grated feta cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat; add half the olive oil, onion and garlic.
- Cook until aromatic and the onion has softened. Add the dried porcini, Farro and thyme; season with salt
- and pepper, stir to coat everything in the oil.
- Pour in enough stock to just cover the Farro. Continue cooking uncovered, maintaining a steady simmer, stirring from time to time and adding more stock as required, à la risotto style
- After about 25 -30 minutes the Farro will start to become chewy-tender; at this point do not add anymore stock.
- Continue cooking until the remaining stock has almost been absorbed by the Farro.
- If you find the Farro still too firm, add a small amount of stock and cook a little longer. When you are satisfied that the Farro has a pleasant chewy-tender texture, stir in well and remove from the heat
- Add in the grilled mushrooms and fennel
- Leave for a minute and then stir in the mustard and the lemon juice.
- Finish by Garnishing with the crumbled goat cheese and serve